DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?

Go down 
+17
tat's boy
puzzledpanther
visioextensa
tadsz
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4
froiboy
Beef Supreme
vishualaide
killing chiristians today
pierminator
positivementalattitude
CAPTAIN.CAPSLOCK
desperate_move
termulator
motmot
jeroytriple7
oblong
21 posters
AuthorMessage
oblong

oblong

IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? Empty
PostSubject: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 12:16 pm

?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iloveoblong
jeroytriple7

jeroytriple7

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 pm

the scene...
Back to top Go down
motmot

motmot

PostSubject: ...   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 9:17 pm

THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MUSIC BUSINESS INDUSTRY AND UNDERGROUND MUSIC COMMUNITY
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/isvarah
termulator

termulator

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 am

MONEY
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamefaqs.com
desperate_move

desperate_move

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 4:04 am

D.I.Y ETHICS
Back to top Go down
CAPTAIN.CAPSLOCK

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 am

SO ANO NGA YUNG ISSUE?
Back to top Go down
positivementalattitude
hoodlum
positivementalattitude

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 am

Kailangan pa bang i-MEMORIZE yan? lol!
Back to top Go down
pierminator

pierminator

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm

WALANG ISSUE WALA! WALA, WALA, WALA YUN WALA
Back to top Go down
pierminator

pierminator

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Pero pwede mag karoon.. GAWA TAYO?
Back to top Go down
oblong

oblong

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 pm

wala nga, and wag na tayo gumawa. it's all about music. que ano pa man.!
Back to top Go down
killing chiristians today

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:01 pm

sencia na sir oblong...eto ulet ako...wag ka sana makulitan...

"IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? "

walang issue jan sir. pero pag ginawa nating ganito : IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS WHO WANTS TO REMAIN INDEPENDENT AND SURVIVE INDEPENDENTLY?

MERON ng issue. kasi nga...sooner or later...makikialam yan sa independent artist at isa-sign up ka nyan...for so many lame excuses like being famous or reaching the larger 'public'. sa umpisa no money matters at mabait sila...pag pirma mo 'contract' at ikaw ay break the their rules...demanda ka boi! hehehe...

to which i ask the question : IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM MUSIC/INDUSTRY AND THE UNDERGROUND HARDCORE PUNK MUSIC SCENE THAT MORE OR LESS ADHERES TO DO-IT-YOURSELF ETHICS AND IS LOYAL TO IT'S COMMUNITY? IS THERE AN ISSUE BETWEEN THEM IF THEY CROSS EACH OTHER'S PATH?

thanks for reading. happy thinking. don't take it too seriously. lol!
Back to top Go down
oblong

oblong

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 1:21 pm

hey KCT, kaw nanaman? heheh! you see, i really don't have anything against recording companies or let say the mainstream scene. god, i would love to sign a recording contract. if, look, the contract is good. so what will happen? i'm not a punk? i wont be DIY anymore? cant i write, record and play the same Oblong songs if i'd be with EMI? ewan ko, pero if a particular recording company would not let me be me, then hindi ko talaga papatusin yun. i would love to sign a contract whose people behind love my music sincerly as it is that made them let me sign their company.

ang point ko lang is, not everyone in the mainstream are USERS. meaning, with the right bosses, artists could still have the same attitude as when they were in the underground phase. i'm not saying that being in the DIY scene is a stepping stone to reach the commercial, that's so stupid. nagkataon lang na doon sila nagumpisa eh, at nasa artist na yun kung magpapakaRockStar sila or kakalimutan na nila ang pinagmulan nila once nasa mainstream na sila. sabi ko nga, hindi rin naman lahat ng commercialized recording companies ay gago or manloloko, maybe most of them yes, pero hindi nga lahat. i believe there are some who pays their artists well and doesn't manufacture talents as to what packaging they want. correct me if im wong.

bottomline siguro e let's not talk very generally. nasa tao naman kasi yun di ba? so i think there really aint no issue between commercial and independent scenes. it's just the drama of some people in either scene.

yeah, nothing to take seriously. thanks. heheh.
Back to top Go down
positivementalattitude
hoodlum
positivementalattitude

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm

oblong wrote:

ang point ko lang is, not everyone in the mainstream are USERS. meaning, with the right bosses, artists could still have the same attitude as when they were in the underground phase. i'm not saying that being in the DIY scene is a stepping stone to reach the commercial, that's so stupid. nagkataon lang na doon sila nagumpisa eh, at nasa artist na yun kung magpapakaRockStar sila or kakalimutan na nila ang pinagmulan nila once nasa mainstream na sila. sabi ko nga, hindi rin naman lahat ng commercialized recording companies ay gago or manloloko, maybe most of them yes, pero hindi nga lahat. i believe there are some who pays their artists well and doesn't manufacture talents as to what packaging they want. correct me if im wong.

like who?
Back to top Go down
vishualaide

vishualaide

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Hindi sya local pero example na Major Labels can be assholes..

Taken from Glassjaw.net's Interview to Justin Beck back in June 2008:

What's the deal with EYEWTKAS re-mastered, is this just roadrunner
being greedy bastards?

Greedy bastards. I'll give you the real shit kicker. I got a phone call from them last week saying how they wanted to not only remaster it, but also include that version of Convectuoso that was on our European single for Ry Ry's song almost ten years ago. Reason why it's so funny, ironic and just plain unnecessarily mean is that when we were mixing EYEWTKAS we were writing that song in the studio next to the control room. Our A&R hit record and kept it on a little digital file I guess. Months later, when we were offered a Deftones tour in Europe they told us that if we wanted to get any support from the label, we needed to release more material to qualify for a European single. We told them we had nothing and they told us, "You have that live version of Convectuouso." We didn't really see it as a "live" recording, but more of a practice tape, basically three assholes writing a song and figuring out what to do with it. Being young and a bunch of pussies, we didn't want to upset the label so we allowed them to put it out. Fast forward a couple years later, we're getting ready to release Worship & Tribute with the intended closing track of Convectuoso which we finally felt we perfected. Right before mastering W&T, we received a cease and desist from Roadrunner claiming that we were in breach of contract and that
they, in fact, own the rights to our song. So since it was "released" it was considered part of "their" catalog and it was off
limits for years to come. When you think about it, that was insulting enough. To be told you can't release your own art even if it was recorded years later on someone else's time -- that was frustrating. But for them to come around just last week and express to us that they want to try to exploit that song specifically, we felt was pretty tacky and tasteless. The moral of the story is we have nothing to do with this release at all. I'm assuming they're figuring that a couple of you will think that we added something to it or that there's something new you've never heard. This isn't the case. You've seen it all before and you can probably find it online for free.

I love Glassjaw.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
oblong

oblong

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:29 am

sony-bmg.. tell me i'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Beef Supreme

Beef Supreme

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 am

wow sign up na!
Back to top Go down
froiboy

froiboy

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:05 am

uhmm... whats the point of signing into major labels if you and your band (or friends) can do everything yourselves? you can do whatever you want, where ever you want, whenever you want! without someone breathing down your neck telling you to change this or change that to make you more marketable.

but then again, if you're into making a profit selling "music", then major labels are the fastest way to go cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 am

froiboy wrote:
uhmm... whats the point of signing into major labels if you and your band (or friends) can do everything yourselves? you can do whatever you want, where ever you want, whenever you want! without someone breathing down your neck telling you to change this or change that to make you more marketable.

but then again, if you're into making a profit selling "music", then major labels are the fastest way to go cheers

tama!!
+99999999 pogi points..

pero............ uso na ang pirated cd's ngayon!! hahahaha.. lol!
Back to top Go down
tadsz

tadsz

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Back to top Go down
http://positivethinkingwontdoanything.blogspot.com/
visioextensa

visioextensa

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 4:15 am

artists on both sides ng sinkong duling ang gumgwa ng issues. talk about ego.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
vishualaide

vishualaide

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 am

Para sakin, kung habol mo lang eh pera, bat di ka mag trabaho? Kesa nmn babuyin ng major labels ung "art" mo, mas buti pa na sariling tyaga nlng. Kesa nmn sa hawakan ka sa leeg ng mga buhayang yan...
Back to top Go down
puzzledpanther

puzzledpanther

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm

th diy ethics i guess, are the biggest difference. but now there seems to be a large gap between "independent" and diy because you can be an indpendent artist and still be mainstream (like most bands signed to Epitaph or Fat Wreck). But I don't necessarily think that there's anything wrong with going mainstream if your goal is to spread a specific ideal or help educate audiances through music because though you would be maintaining "integrity" by remaining a diy band, you would only be preaching to the already initiated.
but of course, only a small prcentage of one-time diy/independent musicians actually sign to major label for that very reason.
Back to top Go down
tat's boy

tat's boy

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm

tissue meron?
Back to top Go down
NIGGATRON

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 1:05 pm

"PRE" TAGA SQUATTER'S AREA KA BA?
Back to top Go down
yokiisthename

yokiisthename

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 5:57 pm

i think there is not. some bands want to play because of the money, some because of the passion. that's what they intend to do woth their music so i dont think there is.

what i dont understand thought is the total "hatred of mainstream music of some just because they are mainstream?" di ko alam kung bakit may mga taong talagang "nasusuka" pag mainstream ang usapan. then again i got nothing against both scenes, i listen to mainstream and UG music and enjoy sila parehas for me. hindi ko lng maintindihan yung reasons as to why yung ibang tao talagang galit sa mainstream scene.

but i think wala naman talagang issue. parehas lng natin naeenjoy ung mga musika nila, so enjoy na lng...
Back to top Go down
KINGKONG ARMAGEDDON

KINGKONG ARMAGEDDON

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

EGO PURITANS. Laughing
Back to top Go down
tat's boy

tat's boy

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 am

bakit? taga san kaba?
Back to top Go down
stoma

stoma

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm

passion over fashion.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.splatterclothing.tk
tat's boy

tat's boy

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm

hehe depende lang kung ganu kaitim o kabaho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?   IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS? Empty

Back to top Go down

IS THERE REALLY AN ISSUE BETWEEN MAINSTREAM AND INDEPENDENT ARTISTS?
Page 1 of 1