DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How important are genres?

Go down 
+3
soral
rupert
acecarlo11
7 posters
AuthorMessage
acecarlo11

acecarlo11

How important are genres? Empty
PostSubject: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Sure, it makes identification easier but music IS music. So why fight over genres? Thoughts and opinions are open. Closed minded idiots, fuck off. Razz
Back to top Go down
rupert

rupert

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:22 pm

If music is music then why don't we just call this the:

almostdiyjustinbieberSideABandAndrewEmusicloversforum.com

Genres are important to me at least because genres define not only the shape and sound of music but the ethos by which the fans and creators follow.

I maybe one of those close minded people you speak of but I won't FIGHT over a genre (not unless I see another punk being beaten up by douchebags in Affliction shirts then I'll swing a punch). I will however, commit myself to such genres like punk.

Some people just love music for music and that is fine but I'm not a hippy that just loves everything in all it's beauty and creative form, I'm a punk rocker and I love music or other art forms (sometimes construed as punk) that gets a rise out of people, where the band goads their audience or stirs the crowd to protest and sometimes those bands aren't considered punk by those-in-the know but truly, they live up to the ideals.

By punk, I don't necessarily include the default politics of anarchy,red-leftist ideals but the antagonism and caustic qualities of punk.

For ex: GG Allin & Madonna

Would anyone debate that GG's music was punk? He threw shit at his audience when most bands were playing the same old shtick.
He had sex with men, women and whatever because he wanted to experience the expansive range of every bodily sensation.
That sounds like someone that most people would condemn and even though he wrote syrupy sweet pop tinged songs, his song context was about drug addiction, tongue in cheek songs about misogyny and many of society's ills.

Now take Madonna, openly sexual, artistic and did much of the same things that GG did but she never went as far as to attack her audience for their own mindlessness and that is the difference between the two.

Mainstream acts will never challenge their audiences as to why they must buy their music where as PUNK bands will ask us why we live like we do, consummate consumers even to the art they make.

I am close minded and I am an idiot but this is NOT why I signed up for the diypinoyhcpunk forum and not rakista or something else because I thought this is where punks can have discussions as rousing as this that challenge our views.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/eskapo
soral

soral

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm

rupert wrote:
If music is music then why don't we just call this the:

almostdiyjustinbieberSideABandAndrewEmusicloversforum.com

agree. salute
Back to top Go down
acecarlo11

acecarlo11

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:47 pm

haha good point sir Rupert but the way I view music is, either you like it or you don't, regardless of genre. I've never been one to judge music because of its genre. An artist can call himself a pop musician or whatever but is that really a reason to dislike them? Sure those musicians you mentioned in that god-awful .com domain which i wish would never exist are nothing but pretentious commercial BS but as far as genre is concerned, like you said, it's only to "define not only the shape and sound of music but the ethos by which the fans and creators follow", nothing else. So a band is punk, so a band is pop, so a band is whatever obscure genre, at the end of the day, you listen to their music because of their sounds and lyrics, not because they belong to a genre, at least i know i do. If you don't, then I guess we're on different spectra on this topic and we should just agree to disagree. I just don't see the point of restricting yourself because of genre.
Back to top Go down
renminzaitsev

renminzaitsev

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 am

Good point mr rupert re the distinction between gg allin and madonna. I just want to share another parallel perspective.

Music is music, but punk is more than just music. It is the only genre that I FOLLOW together with others genres that has roots on it and has similar beliefs and passion .(ie crust,grind,ska,hardcore,rockabilly,punkrock,sludge,oi etc.). That is because they act as a critic of the times,rebel in their own way, social scientist somehow, a social realist and at the same time creates the music that makes your adrenaline flow. Many metal specially speed metal, death, thrash, etc share the same intensity, stacata in beat, rage and even has more musicality(or technicality in music). But i dont share the beliefs of some especially those that market themselves as satanist.Sore throat said- satan is a joke. They just don't fit in my beliefs. They dont contribute to educating, nourishing my mind socially, politically but the technical aspect of their music and sometimes sheer creativity, and i admire them for that is a moving force too. I listen to different types of music or genre(even metal). But I believe those in this forum crave for more than just music to sooth or punish their ears. IF YOU ARE A PUNK, MUSIC AND/OR ARTISTS SHOULD NOT JUST BE CONSIDERED,LIKED,JUDGED PURELY IN THE AESTHETIC FORM. So the genre that is under the umbrella of punk matters. Its what separates us from the rest.And again i reiterate mr ruperts point- music is music is right in general but acecarlo11- genres matter in this context where this is diypinoyhcpunk.com.
Back to top Go down
renminzaitsev

renminzaitsev

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 am

PS

I did not sight metal as an example to degrade it. Its just the best example of distinction between two types of music that most of the time shares the same intensity in music but of totally having a different essence in principle.
Back to top Go down
m(A)rcor(E)

m(A)rcor(E)

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 pm

what is genre by the way...? hehehe!
Back to top Go down
boyileroy

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi I am looking for a a band (Guitar). I have been playing with the bands until now but i want to be serious about this. contact me: 639322391893
Back to top Go down
Cunningilus

Cunningilus

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:22 am

im not well educated in this... i got better things to think about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nuclearpunishment
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important are genres?   How important are genres? Empty

Back to top Go down

How important are genres?
Page 1 of 1