DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

All About Straight Edge

Go down 
+42
XXCALIBURX
hubert webb
rethinkcapitalism
BHADRA
xKiK0x
xJOURNEYx
killer_kalabasa
NIGGANOMICS
tat's boy
XgoofyX
xsuperflyingipisx
xmj_cleanlivingx
xtreblinkalovescenex
xjanusx
hybrid_moments
tadsz
jep_peligro
riotkids production
NewYorkCubaoHardCorn
positivementalattitude
christopherwallace
xangryxsonx
Jepoyic
m(A)rcor(E)
raymond
ichiSkrachi
paengkee
Tomh
zomgwtfsrsly
gabxcore
akosipaolo
keida
zepol
bongklong_1881
sister brad
edwin954
xraihax
francis
BongBong
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4
batibothxc
xjay
46 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
xjay

xjay

All About Straight Edge Empty
PostSubject: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Post anything about straight edge here.

Now... start!
Back to top Go down
batibothxc

batibothxc

PostSubject: all about straight edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:17 pm

1 month. for now. haha lots of reasons bein straight edge...
Neutral you share first,

XjacobX
Back to top Go down
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 pm

di ko alam kung gano na katagal. dati masarap uminom lagi p kami suka suka dito sa bahay. wasted. haha. masaya naman.
tinigilan ko lang. elephant
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 2:27 am

i'm supposed to be a Straight Edge because of course... it is not important to force myself up to this lifestyle just to be healthy... hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://www.xbongbongx.multiply.com
francis

francis

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am

well being edge for me is like, more into the discipline.

not constraints.
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:36 am

uhh... Clean living now to be exactly.... hahaha

now let's make this thread something more to talk about...

some says sXe used to be refrain themselves from having a gf or bf... what can you say about this? hmm...
Back to top Go down
francis

francis

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 pm

BongBong wrote:

some says sXe used to be refrain themselves from having a gf or bf... what can you say about this? hmm...

never heard of it.

but as far as im concerned with edge, ian himself drinks beer at times.

for me its like, celebrating for a cause.
not getting drunk/stoned/shittedupon for now reason.
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 pm

^^ yeah me too... hindi lang naglalaway ako sa alak... nagcecelebrate din...

oops drink moderately... cheers

masarap uminom ng alak pag masaya hehehe
Back to top Go down
xjay

xjay

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 4:24 pm

I claimed edge a year ago or a year and a half ago. Nothing much special about it. I just wanted to think for myself, that's all.
Back to top Go down
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 6:56 pm

BongBong wrote:

ang alam ko di naman ganun na di sila nag bf or gf. ahaha! ang lungkot n nga ng d miinom d k pa magxxota. haha! abstain lang against 1 night stands.
Back to top Go down
xraihax

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 pm

BongBong wrote:

-i dunno bout this.. what i know is that most sXe kids are not into sleeping randomly with different person every single night. and i'd like to think that this is bordering more on our personal choices.

how about militant sXe kids? have you heard this issue, i think 10 years ago, wherein a sXe kid was convicted because of murdering a 15 year-old kid in Salt Lake City? this eventually alarmed the police and until now, they're treating sXe kids with a gang-like status.. ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xhirayax
edwin954

edwin954

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 pm

xraihax wrote:
BongBong wrote:

-i dunno bout this.. what i know is that most sXe kids are not into sleeping randomly with different person every single night. and i'd like to think that this is bordering more on our personal choices.

how about militant sXe kids? have you heard this issue, i think 10 years ago, wherein a sXe kid was convicted because of murdering a 15 year-old kid in Salt Lake City? this eventually alarmed the police and until now, they're treating sXe kids with a gang-like status.. ^_^

those are called "hardliners". na-misunderstood nila ang concept ng sXe. akala nila they are better than other people kase nga they live with these set of rules, usually yun ang unang nag be-break ng edge after a few years. matagal na akong edge pero i dont preach. i joined a band dati na lahat sila nag we-weed pero i dont care as long as di nila ako sina -sama sa mga kalokohan nila Smile. its more of a personal choice para sa akin to be edge. i dont go around preaching and trying to convert everybody to be edge. kaya have a beer, but its not on me. hehehehe.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/edwinhardcore
sister brad
bodyguard
sister brad

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 am

i've read that violence occur during earth crisis shows. mostly because of the militant sxe kids. but that is what i've read.
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 am

abstaining from a relationship on sXe is another stereotypes na naririnig ko... hahaha i don't believe that it's because mas matetempt na mag-sex sila... man i don't agree with that... bahala na sila kung gusto nila mag toot toot privacy na nila yan hahaha ang pagkakaalam ko lang ay iwas casual sex hehehe

ohh militant sXe another issue... hahaha i did not know about that... maybe something like nagiging "gang" na with the sXe principle as their basis something like that... well that's my opinion...

hehehe
Back to top Go down
bongklong_1881

bongklong_1881

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:37 am

BongBong wrote:
abstaining from a relationship on sXe is another stereotypes na naririnig ko... hahaha i don't believe that it's because mas matetempt na mag-sex sila... man i don't agree with that... bahala na sila kung gusto nila mag toot toot privacy na nila yan hahaha ang pagkakaalam ko lang ay iwas casual sex hehehe

ohh militant sXe another issue... hahaha i did not know about that... maybe something like nagiging "gang" na with the sXe principle as their basis something like that... well that's my opinion...

hehehe

since the movement became popular before, naglabasan na yang mga yan. Actually, it just started as a 3-golden rule movement. NO ALCOHOL, DRUGS and ILLEGAL FUCKING hahaha. but as the movement became popular as time goes by, some other kids took the movement seriously. the vegetarianism movement, hardline shitty, and the others came, and some of these are good, some are not. well, that's history. anyway, let's talk vegetarianism and the xsisterhoodx movement. anyone guys here who has a girl friend or something who's into the movement? i have one, and she really took the vegan thingy seriously. she even have a "V" sign on her hands everytime we are attending a hxc show here in cavite. and her lunch, brocoli salad. yeah!

as for straight-edge, im already slipped out on the scene. 2 years akong naging edge then i decided to break it out ... di ko rin matiis ng walang alak sa katawan ko. hahaha! and as for the vegan thing, im just a semi-pecsetarian douchebag. Smile

Last edited by bongklong_1881 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 pm

^^ohh i never heard about the xsisterhoodx man... can you further explain? hehehe and that "V" mark is also new to me... i thought only the "X" mark hahaha

another issue learned from sXe

well, diba sXe was started from Minor Threat's song Straight Edge?

and ohh the "X" mark as far as i know is came from one bar gig event in America when an hc band (i forgot the name) na mga teenager pa at underage pa... and the bar na naghohost ng gig ay bawal magserve ng beer sa mga teenagers... so they must mark themselves with the "X" mark para alam ng mga waiter or others na hindi sila pwede bigyan ng alak... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zepol
hoodlum
zepol

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 pm

BongBong wrote:
yeah, t'was the song that coined the term "straight edge." but it was Out of Step where the don'ts were enumerated: "don't smoke, don't drink, don't fuck..."

BongBong wrote:
and ohh the "X" mark as far as i know is came from one bar gig event in America when an hc band (i forgot the name) na mga teenager pa at underage pa... and the bar na naghohost ng gig ay bawal magserve ng beer sa mga teenagers... so they must mark themselves with the "X" mark para alam ng mga waiter or others na hindi sila pwede bigyan ng alak... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
true. correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was the filipino-owned bar that regularly hosts punk rock shows Mabuhay Gardens in San Francisco who started marking underage attendees with an X. and the rest was history...

cherry
Back to top Go down
keida

keida

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 pm

zepol wrote:
BongBong wrote:
yeah, t'was the song that coined the term "straight edge." but it was Out of Step where the don'ts were enumerated: "don't smoke, don't drink, don't fuck..."

BongBong wrote:
true. correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was the filipino-owned bar that regularly hosts punk rock shows Mabuhay Gardens in San Francisco who started marking underage attendees with an X. and the rest was history...

cherry

M A B U H A Y
G A R D E N S!

may picture pa ng niyog sa signage nila. hahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://xkeidax.deviantart.com
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 pm

@zepol - cool! thanks for the info... hehehe waw ayos Mabuhay Gardens pa... we Filipinos have a part of hc history... hahaha

@keida - waw talaga? link!!! link!!! hehehe
Back to top Go down
keida

keida

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 1:45 pm

BongBong wrote:
@zepol - cool! thanks for the info... hehehe waw ayos Mabuhay Gardens pa... we Filipinos have a part of hc history... hahaha

http://sftvwowstuff.homestead.com/files/MABUHAY_sign_34.jpg

and you'd see it in this famous punk docu...
Back to top Go down
sister brad
bodyguard
sister brad

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:22 pm

may nyog nga! lol!
Back to top Go down
akosipaolo

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:57 pm

pag edge ba dapat vegan din ung diet mo? Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.diypinoyhcpunk.com
gabxcore

gabxcore

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 3:54 pm

kpag sXe po ba wlang cigs? mmmm.
Back to top Go down
http://gabbiie.multiply.com
bongklong_1881

bongklong_1881

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 pm

BongBong wrote:
^^ohh i never heard about the xsisterhoodx man... can you further explain? hehehe and that "V" mark is also new to me... i thought only the "X" mark hahaha

another issue learned from sXe

yeah. exactly. as for xsisterhoodx, it is a group promoting straight edge on female hxc/punk kids. and it's still alive and kicking. i have a female cousin who's into the group. check this: http://www.xsisterhoodx.com/
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 5:55 pm

^^ oohh i see man i think parang sorority na ang dating with the sXe principle hehehe

keida wrote:
BongBong wrote:

http://sftvwowstuff.homestead.com/files/MABUHAY_sign_34.jpg

and you'd see it in this famous punk docu...

ui!!! niyog nga!!! pinoy na pinoy ang dating hahaha thanks keida!!!
Back to top Go down
zomgwtfsrsly

zomgwtfsrsly

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 pm

xraihax wrote:
BongBong wrote:

theres a documentary about sXe and this somewhere in youtube.
Back to top Go down
Tomh

Tomh

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:49 pm

I've never heard of vegan's marking themselves with V's before.
Straight-edge has really gone through many different stages from Minor Threat, Youth of Today to XBishopX and XAFBX.
Personally im not a fan of the more metalcore stuff like XAFBX, youth crew for me is where straight edge is.
Hardline has pretty much fallen apart now, though there are still some hardline bands in europe, most of the big players converted to Islam. If you want to check out what hardline sounds like listen to a band called RAID, most is pretty chug chug chug stuff.
I'm not straight edge, but i live a drug free lifestyle abstaining from alcohol, drugs, smoking and promiscuous sex, i just dont label myself edge because i have my faith.
It's cool though how it has spread throughout the world and can have such a positive impact on peoples lives.
Definately a major player in keeping the scene posi.
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/tomhill
paengkee

paengkee

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Tomh

Tomh

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 7:41 pm

paengkee wrote:
watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFKBwJAXh5s&feature=related

straightedge on natgeo
do you reckon it gives a real perspective of what straight edge is and what hardcore is?
i think hardcore is one of those things, you have to be in it to understand it. That movie just constantly repeats lame stereotypes.
Would anyone here actually want to make a documentary, id find it really weird.
Back to top Go down
ichiSkrachi

ichiSkrachi

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 8:22 pm

oo nga yung niyog yung nagdala dun eh no!!! lol! kaya buhay na buhay ang mabuhay gardens cheers
sXe is all about discipline and having a healthy lifestyle also in a way of direct action towards animal liberation.
RESPECT that is the word.OFOH!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
ichiSkrachi

ichiSkrachi

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 8:23 pm

tanong ko lang si swansong ba ay si odessa? lol! OFOH!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 8:58 pm

akosipaolo wrote:
no. veganism is different from sxe. i know vegan kids who drink and smoke casually but some sxe kids adopted the vegan lifestyle. their called vegan sxe. mostly they're a bunch of militant kids.

gabxcore wrote:
yes. don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't fuck. some sxe kids don't drink coffee and sodas too coz of caffeine.

bongklong_1881 wrote:
i have one, and she really took the vegan thingy seriously. she even have a "V" sign on her hands everytime we are attending a hxc show here in cavite. and her lunch, brocoli salad. yeah!
iv'e never heard about people having "V" marks on their fists.
Back to top Go down
bongklong_1881

bongklong_1881

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 9:41 pm

talksickmchc wrote:
akosipaolo wrote:
no. veganism is different from sxe. i know vegan kids who drink and smoke casually but some sxe kids adopted the vegan lifestyle. their called vegan sxe. mostly they're a bunch of militant kids.

gabxcore wrote:
yes. don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't fuck. some sxe kids don't drink coffee and sodas too coz of caffeine.

bongklong_1881 wrote:
i have one, and she really took the vegan thingy seriously. she even have a "V" sign on her hands everytime we are attending a hxc show here in cavite. and her lunch, brocoli salad. yeah!
iv'e never heard about people having "V" marks on their fists.

you never heard of them. but some kiddos in xsisterhoodx does, even my cousin. Smile
Back to top Go down
xjay

xjay

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 pm

The problem in the "hardliners" thing is, people always generalize.
Back to top Go down
l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

l0r3nz0m1r4nd4

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 1:44 am

bongklong_1881 wrote:
you never heard of them. but some kiddos in xsisterhoodx does, even my cousin. Smile

ayus un ah! instead of x on being sxe, v for vegan na nilalagay.

P.S. hardliners are bunch of sxe kids who wants attention. for me, they really suck. coz of them people see sxe kids as a threat. stupid kids. haha! bunch of gangster wannabees
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 4:18 am

nabanggit ng documentary ung tungkol sa mga militant sXe's... hehehe

"what is straight-edge for kids today? a safe refuge? or a violent sub-culture?"

anarchiespanky wrote:
Odess ng Choke Cocoi na almusal ay kanin? i was also wondering about that... since nakuha ko tong site na to sa isang post ng Choke Cocoi sa myspace hehehe...
Back to top Go down
raymond

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 4:18 am

iii. history
It is interesting, but a fact from which this woman could not hide, that although the power of the group seemed to be a fundamental point as far as SXE was concerned, the motives for each person to become straight were frequently diverse; sometimes, even antagonistic. She had already grasped the truth that, once within the group, people would end up assuming its values in one way or another – some to a higher and others to a lower degree; some more critically, others more blindly. However, what seemed to draw her attention at that second and more reasonable moment of reflection, was that the SXE, according to its place and time, would always assume distinct forms and values. Elaborating a little bit more on the inquisitive-one's comments in the earlier conversation, SXE and puritanism might even have had hands defining the perspective of many hardcore kids today, but the fact was that the puritan image did not fit perfectly, or even grossly, into each and every scene, including those in North America.
One had but to consider the great differences that could be seen among the various perspectives on SXE that had arisen in the history of the North American hardcore scene. This seemed to be an interesting point from which to start her reflection, since the USA held the position as the greatest imperialist power, the reason why it came to be the place from which the main SXE models would arise – those that influenced the worldwide hardcore scene in the most impressive way. At that point she would start recalling, with an amazing clarity, a weekend she had spent debating exactly this topic with her best friend; a discussion in which three main perspectives had caught each one's attention because of the large impact that these perspectives had on the Brazilian SXE scene.
The first important perspective held a strong me-alone-against-the-world idea. Represented by bands like 7 Seconds, Minor Threat and many other bands primarily from Washington DC, SXE in this trend was quite individualistic – a value which, she had already observed in other occasions, seemed to heavily pervade most of North Americans’ views and stances, structuring from progressive to conservative lines of thought. Hardcore itself was also a continuation of a healthful and positive individualism that grounded the basis of the punk attitude, but SXE from that generation would take all this to an extreme: they were the opposition to the opposition, the utmost expression of this individualism.
"I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't fuck. At least I can fuckin' think", said its maxim – that she held at the tip of her tongue. The principle was for everyone to do whatever they wanted with their lives; to be out of step with society; to give no account for one's actions; or as the great metaphor would synthesize, to be the black sheep. Sustaining such a stance, there lay a firm belief – the product of this same kind of individualism, that each person is the absolute master of his or her own fate – perhaps neglecting that in order for a dissident black sheep to escape, the participation of other cooperative sheep distracting the shepherd's attention was absolutely crucial.
In this model she saw, despite the individualistic fa̤ade that had never pleased her, one of the most interesting conceptions of SXE in the North American hardcore scene: an intelligent way of keeping the punk attitude of protest without buying the whole thing and embracing that nihilistic self-destructive lifestyle that Рexcept in the very inception of those restructuring times which marked the beginning of the punk movement Рmade no sense at all for a youth eager to fight for social change.
As she thought about the portrait that she was sketching little by little, the traces that composed it, and the relationships they established among each other, it became more and more transparent to her. She now turned her focus to a second model, which certainly differed in many respects from the first one. Represented by bands like Youth of Today and other bands hailing mainly from New York, this tendency was much less into individualism than into a spirit-of-youth-against-the-world idea.
This was not surprising, since for this trend to appear, two sources seemed to be a decisive influence: firstly, bands such as Agnostic Front and the Cro-Mags from the old New York hardcore scene, all of them markedly defined by a sort of street-gang culture – characteristic of the place where they came from – that was firmly reflected in their lyrics. Secondly, and more obviously, bands such as DYS and SSD from the old Boston hardcore scene, where the power of 30 or 40 strong guys seemed to render enough security for the crew to survive in a society in which they could not fit. The '88 SXE hardcore, as it would be known later, was the heir to these two scenes and thus it seemed inevitable that it would end up placing value on the role of the group.
"Me, you, youth crew", said its maxim – to which she used to sing along so passionately. The principle was to deny one's heart to a hostile and decaying world, to then devote it to the group of friends; to take a clear stance, "us versus them"; or as the great metaphor would synthesize, to be one more member of the wolfpack. Sustaining such a stance, there lay the NY sentiment of pride of the family, added to the Bostonian sensation of power of the crew – perhaps ignoring the stupid waste of force and cohesion manifested in a wolfpack which is united to fight against another and not to struggle against its real predators.
For the young woman, although sympathetic to that emphasis on the construction of a non-individualistic resistance, the criticism she held for this trend would be one of the gravest: that was, with rare exception, the generation that produced the most futile bands of the SXE history. Through a powerful, energetic music – though excessively tough in her eyes – sterile lyrics, without any critical stance, were articulated. The identity of the group and the aggressiveness that it encompassed lost the relevant significance of opposing a world of absurd values, and turned into mere empty symbols to be perpetually evoked and glorified at the shows – rituals of mental masturbation that came to nothing. Pride, for pride’s sake, and that's it. Today, with a more critical perspective, that is how she saw the '88 generation: in the music, greatly powerful, in the ideas, sadly mediocre.
The third and last model had been special – she'd had the opportunity to watch its development at each new step. This was the model which had prevailed in the North American SXE scene since the beginning of the 90’s, and whose main representative was Earth Crisis from Syracuse. There she could see the fostering of a fairly new concept in SXE, which would give rise to an important trend in the movement: VeganStraightEdge (VSXE). The refusal to inebriate oneself, now added to a vegetarian ideology, ceased to be an individual stance (as in the first model), or a group stance (as in the second model), to then become a political cause for which the militant SXE would feel compelled to fight. At the same time, the trend seemed strongly grounded in a Christian extremist ideology that, as reflected in the lyrics, was used to symbolize the struggle for justice through a vegan-straight-edge-crusade-against-the-evil idea.
“Perpetrators of this madness, your right to live is gone. Your burning bodies shall light the path to a glorious new dawn”, said its maxim – in one of the songs that most impressed her. The principle was to become a VSXE warrior; to be the owner and defender of justice; to give oneself to martyrdom; to retaliate all evil perpetrated by those demons who destroy our planet; or as the great metaphor would synthesize, to bring the firestorm to purify. Following this view, many bands who later adopted this trend made a mix of several types of fundamentalism, including, and principally, Islamic. The metaphor, in this case, shifted its form, but not its meaning: the Christian sacred war (the crusade) was gone, only to make room for the Muslim sacred war (the jihad) – perhaps ignoring the fact that the firestorm would inevitably provoke an uncontrollable blaze, burning both the rotten and the healthy trees without discrimination, destroying that which was originally supposed to be preserved.
On the one hand, a specific aspect of this generation grasped the young woman's sympathy as no other trend had been able to do: the power and determination that the SXE would attain when it was seen as a cause for militant politics – the kind of politics which actually transcended the parameters of hardcore. On the other hand, there was another aspect in this trend which, unlike that which had occurred with the other models, contributed to keep her almost totally away from it: the sad contradiction between methods and aims, reflected in the discourse of bands that preached the end of tyranny through fundamentally tyrannical words.
All these SXE models had an undeniable relevance, but the young woman knew that in her country the sources of influence went far beyond them – beyond Uncle Sam’s land. Europe, also, because of the same imperialist forces that would uphold the USA as a cultural paradigm to the world, would produce some very influential SXE models – though notably distinct from the North American ones. Among these models, one in particular grasped her – one that had reached its highest intensity in the beginning of the 90’s, represented by bands like Nations on Fire from Belgium, and Manliftingbanner from Holland. Whereas in the USA, the heirs of the vegan jihad were moving towards more and more conservative as well as extremist stances, people with a leftist-struggle-against-capitalism idea would revitalize the SXE at the other side of the Atlantic – following the trail already blazed by bands such as Lärm in the 80’s – with a critical and progressive, intelligent and incisive critique.
“When man is free, when there is no more need. I will rest my soul in peace”, said its maxim – with which this woman would identify more than any other. The principle was to place social, political and economic matters as top priorities; to propose alternatives of social organization for an unacceptable capitalist system; or as the great metaphor would synthesize, to be positive, political, powerful. Sustaining such concepts, there lay two main lines of leftist thought: communism and anarchism – perhaps defying, through an unbreakable faith, their own historical time, marked by the recent Soviet collapse and the then drowsy international anarchist movement.
Undoubtedly, the European SXE model seemed to her a much more interesting approach than any of the North American ones. Not only because it moved completely away from the right-wing perspective of the purifier firestorm, but also because it denied the political emptiness of the '88 wolfpack and extended the leftist notion of the black sheep, transcending its well-intentioned reformist individualism in order to definitely adopt a radical political and economic critical perspective. Besides, it was in this European model that could be finally seen an explicit concern in extending the idea of the brotherhood to that of the sisterhood, something which had often passed unnoticed through the North American trends.
There was only one problem in this perspective that she could not help but to point out: probably in an unconscious attempt to distance itself from the fundamentalists that liked to impose the drug-free lifestyle upon others by force – something that was in conflict with its progressive stance of respect for individual liberties – the bands in this generation relegated SXE to the personal realm, dissociating the problem of drug consumption from its deep political and economic implications on which drug refusal, and thus traffic refusal, should be based. The model seemed limited, therefore, precisely because it failed to incorporate the very SXE attitude within this larger political perspective of a radical left.
Thus, the history.

A long article (more like a Thesis paper, hehe) done by the members of influential brazilian vegan straight edge band Point of No Return. For the complete article, check the band's site or just let me know and i'll send you a copy by email. ENJOY! You might also want to check The Hardcore-Punk Guide to Christianity written by Robin Banks. Christianity + SXE??? Laughing
Back to top Go down
m(A)rcor(E)

m(A)rcor(E)

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 am

anarkispanky wrote:

gaga, ngtanong pa... hehehe! churva churva to da max!
Back to top Go down
Jepoyic

Jepoyic

PostSubject: Yeah!   All About Straight Edge EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 12:47 am

I think sXe is an active lifestyle known and made by the old school band called minor theat?

Diyan kasi makikita ang self discipline nang mga tao eh, the temptations all around us, casual sex, drinking and smoking, well, just like love, masasabi ko, ang pagiging sXe eh dapat isinasapuso, dedicated sa sarili mo at hindi sa ibat ibang mga tao, kasi, alam mo na, pag dinedicate mo to sa ibang tao, wala lang, parang nagawa ka lang nang image para sa sarili mo. At sa totoo lang, dito pati nalabas ang commitment nang tao eh kung paano niya dadalhin ang sarili mo dito sa commitment na ito, kasi ang problema, eh pinagyayabang nang ibang tao(hindi kayo ha). Tsaka, ibat iba naman mga perception nang pagiging sXe. Wala dapat ganito or dapat ganito, wak lang kalimutan ang mga basic fundamentals. No drinking, smoking and casual sex. And saka mo na i fill in kung anung mga beliefs mo tungkol dito sa part na ito. Basta, dalhin nang mabuti, hindi ipagyabang at patunayan na kakayanin ang mga commitments.
Back to top Go down
xangryxsonx

xangryxsonx

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 7:31 am

akosipaolo wrote:

nope, just follow the "golden rules"

no smoking, no drugs, no promiscous sex and no alcohol thats it

the vegan diet is for vegans and vegetarians Smile
Back to top Go down
xangryxsonx

xangryxsonx

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 am

guys, have you've heard about skinheads, a new movement from somewhere in europe... much like sXe's
Back to top Go down
xangryxsonx

xangryxsonx

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 am

thanks to francis for enlightening me about the question

"ang banda ba sxe na kapag ang members ay sxe din"

hehehe

kasi sa pagkakaalam ko ung funeral for a friend my member silang straight edge Smile

iba pla tunog nun hehehe
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 am

xangryxsonx wrote:
guys, have you've heard about skinheads, a new movement from somewhere in europe... much like sXe's

i read an article about that... sa UK ata yan galing ung mga skinheads...
Back to top Go down
Tomh

Tomh

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:03 pm

xangryxsonx wrote:
Not a new movement at all. Skin heads have been around since the 80's if not 70's and are very much connected with a neo-nazi lifestlye. Sadly skinheads have been connected with hardcore for a long time and often can cause alot of trouble for any countries scene. In comparrison 'skinhead' can be a way to describe a type of hardcore i.e. slapshot. There was a huge split between neo-nazi skinheads and also posi-straight edge skin-heads in the 80's and since there are almost no nazi skin heads active in america, but yes, there are quite a few still in europe. It also applies to the hair style of shaving your head, which has been part of the punk/hardcore scene for a long time. Theres alot to the subject so just wikipedia it or something
Back to top Go down
christopherwallace

christopherwallace

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Tomh wrote:
In comparrison 'skinhead' can be a way to describe a type of hardcore i.e. slapshot.

hmmm... slapshot? really?

Tomh wrote:
Not a new movement at all. Skin heads have been around since the 80's if not 70's and are very much connected with a neo-nazi lifestlye.

you sir, is drunk on that kool-aid.
Back to top Go down
Jepoyic

Jepoyic

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Eh ang hardlining ba, naguso ba ung sa sxe scene?
Back to top Go down
Tomh

Tomh

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 pm

christopherwallace wrote:
Tomh wrote:
In comparrison 'skinhead' can be a way to describe a type of hardcore i.e. slapshot.

Tomh wrote:
Not a new movement at all. Skin heads have been around since the 80's if not 70's and are very much connected with a neo-nazi lifestlye.

There are so many different skin head bands and is just a common term given to the way some people look. What don't you agree about skinheads being connected to neo-nazi's? Examples of this can be seen in American History X or Romper Stomper, both films about skinheads.
Back to top Go down
keida

keida

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 am

Tomh wrote:
christopherwallace wrote:
Tomh wrote:

Tomh wrote:

There are so many different skin head bands and is just a common term given to the way some people look. What don't you agree about skinheads being connected to neo-nazi's? Examples of this can be seen in American History X or Romper Stomper, both films about skinheads.

add higher learning to that flick list.
Back to top Go down
BongBong

BongBong

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 8:12 am

Tomh wrote:

there is another movie about the racial situation sa isang college sa US... kung san ung bida ehh isang African-American... tapos may dating fratman na sumali sa neo-nazi skinheads... they stick to their Aryanism ideas (White supremacy)... nambugbog ng mga bisexuals at African-Americans... at ung ex-fratman na-miss na barilin ung bidang African-American at tinamaan ung girlfriend nun gamit ang sniper rifle... later nag-suicide... i forgot the title of that film...
Back to top Go down
christopherwallace

christopherwallace

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

i see one... two... three...
three people so far, drunk on tha mufuggin kool-aid. lol.

All About Straight Edge Kool-AidMan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All About Straight Edge   All About Straight Edge Empty

Back to top Go down

All About Straight Edge
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board :: FORUMS :: Music-
Jump to: