DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Pinoy HC/Punk Message Board

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

THE (CRAPPY) NEWS THREAD

Go down 
AuthorMessage
no love lost

no love lost

THE (CRAPPY) NEWS THREAD Empty
PostSubject: THE (CRAPPY) NEWS THREAD   THE (CRAPPY) NEWS THREAD EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 5:27 am

Palparan next PDEA chief?
By James Mananghaya Updated January 23, 2009 12:00 AM

Retired general Jovito Palparan announced that he is considering going back to government service at the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

Palparan, known for his unorthodox style of fighting communist insurgents, said he was offered the job at the PDEA while he was still in active service.

He said he is now “seriously considering” the offer.

Palparan said he could apply some of the strategies he used against the communist New People’s Army (NPA) in the government’s war on illegal drugs.

“There are some operations of the PDEA that are similar to the anti-insurgency drive, and if I accept the offer, I think I could put that to good use, considering that what we are trying to save here are the lives of innocent people. It is the people that we are fighting for,” he said.

There were reports that Palparan, named as the “butcher” by leftist groups in linking him to the spate of summary executions of militant and peasant leaders in areas where he was military commander, would take a post at PDEA.

The reports came in the wake of the controversy generated by the “Alabang Boys,” sons of wealthy families who were charged with drug trafficking by the PDEA.

Palparan said he would not have any problem working at the anti-narcotics agency because he has already worked with PDEA chief Dionisio Santiago while they were both in the active service.

If ever he decides to join the agency, Palparan said he could join Santiago as his deputy.

He said the position was initially offered to him, which he earlier refused.

“When it was offered to me before, I refused because I was asking myself what would I do there, but then after seriously thinking about it, I told myself there are things which I could contribute because of my experience, so now I am seriously considering it,” he told The STAR.

Palparan said that if indeed he would be appointed to PDEA, he would intensify information campaigns to educate the public on the evils of illegal drug use.

He said he would apply the same strategy he used in Central Luzon when he led the Army’s 7th infantry division in the war against the NPA.

Unlike Palparan, two former generals now serving in the civilian government are caught in the midst of the latest Cabinet reshuffle.

Outgoing Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Hermogenes Esperon Jr., said he would continue to take active part in the peace process even after his appointment as chief of the Presidential Management Staff (PMS).

Esperon said President Arroyo had ordered him is to help his Philippine Military Academy classmate and former National Police chief Avelino Razon in the new job as presidential adviser on the peace process.

“I was told to continue giving whatever help I could contribute to the OPAPP and that is what I will do,” Esperon said.

Esperon is set to take over the PMS, replacing Cerge Remonde on Feb. 1.

He said working at PMS would be much easier for him because of his experience as chief of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) during the Ramos administration.

“I think Razon and I will have good teamwork,” Esperon said.

Transport groups, however, had mixed reaction reactions over the appointment of former national police chief Arturo Lomibao at the Land Transportation Office (LTO).

Lomibao is set to replace Alberto Suansing who was promoted as Undersecretary for Maritime Affairs at the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC).

Zeny Maranan, president of the Federation of Jeepney Operators and Drivers Association of the Philippines (FEJODAP), said they are wondering why MalacaƱang has to revive the reappointment of Lomibao at the LTO.

Maranan has opposed the first appointment of Lomibao in 2007 for snubbing the invitation of transport leaders for a dialogue.

Lomibao claimed he cannot recall snubbing the transport leaders during his tour of duty but offered his apologies and vowed to work closely with the transport sector.

Roberto Martin, of the Pasang Masda jeepney association, on the other hand, welcomed the second appointment of Lomibao.

Martin said he is willing to work closely with Lomibao as the new LTO chief. –With Jose Rodel Clapano, Perseus Echeminada
Back to top Go down

THE (CRAPPY) NEWS THREAD
Page 1 of 1